The Youth Confirmation Program at St. Pius X is a part of our Faith Formation program, and as such we seek to support the parents in their role as “primary catechist” (CCC #1656) for their children. We hope to accomplish this task by providing an overview of the Catholic Faith with a strong emphasis on the Sacrament of Confirmation, as well as, what it means to become a “responsible member of the Catholic Church” (YouCat #203).
We utilize a non-classroom model, which includes engaging activities, strong Catholic teaching, small group discussion, and a variety of prayer experiences.
The Confirmation Program begins in January and is open to teens of registered families in 8th - 12th grades. Classes take place on Wednesday evenings, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM in the Family Center.
For more information on the Sacrament of Confirmation or Youth Faith Formation; contact Stephanie Kristek at (210) 824-0139 x206.
Requirements for Participation in the Confirmation Sacramental Program:
- The family is registered and active members of St. Pius X.
- The teen has been Baptized and received the Sacrament of Eucharist.
- Submission of Baptismal Certificate at Registration.
- The teen is in, at least, 8th grade or higher.
- Parent will attend Parent Meeting in January.
- Confirmation Preparation is a two year process. The teen must have been registered and active in our Edge or Life Teen program, enrolled in a Catholic School, or other Religious Education at another parish the year prior to receiving the Sacrament.
- The teen must be enrolled in the Religious Education program for their grade in addition to Confirmation classes for the final year of preparation. (If the student goes to a Catholic School, they only need to attend the Confirmation Classes)
- Attendance on the Parish Confirmation Retreat
Requirements for Reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation:
Before being admitted to the Sacrament of Confirmation, the Candidate should complete all of the following elements:
- Teen participates in the sacramental life of the Church (including weekly attendance at Mass and reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and Eucharist) showing that he/she is ready for Confirmation.
- The teen must be in at least the 8th grade when Confirmation is administered.
- The teen has a valid Sponsor who meets the Church requirements, according to Canon Law. Required paperwork for selected sponsor must be turned in no later than one month after the first Confirmation Preparation class.
- Participation in any parish para-liturgies, Commitment Mass, Parent meetings, Sponsor sessions, Retreats, etc. in preparation for Confirmation.
- Attendance and successful completion of Formation on the Sacrament of Confirmation. **Note**: The Candidate must not miss more than three (3) sessions unexcused or he/she will be required to re-take the final year of Confirmation preparation.
- Teen selects a Saint Name and then submits a two-page essay by due date (TBA).
- Participation in 20 hours of service: 10 hours at the parish and 10 outside the parish.
- Attendance at the parish Confirmation Retreat.