Baptism: The Door of the Church
“Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as children of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made shares in her mission: ‘Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word’” (CCC, 1213).
Baptism is the first of the seven sacraments and one of three Sacraments of Initiation, which are Baptism, Confirmation and the Eucharist. For this reason, we celebrate this sacrament in the entry way of the Church in order to signify that this Sacrament of Baptism is the Door of the Church.
“Baptism is a living encounter with Christ, which informs the entire existence of the baptized, imparting divine life and calling for sincere conversion.” –Pope Benedict XVI
When is the Rite of Baptism celebrated at St. Pius X?
The Rite of Baptism is celebrated on the Third Saturday of each month at 11am in the Church. Please call Rebekah Haase at the church office (210) 824-0139 ext 209 or email her at email@example.com for more information.
What do I need to do to have my child Baptized at St. Pius X?
Please note: all paperwork must be turned in before we can schedule the date for Baptism.
It is in Baptism that one is welcomed into a community of faith. Parents who wish to have their child baptized (ages infant-7 years of age) must fill out a Baptism registration form (located under "Documents") and return to the church office. Once this has been completed, and all required documentation has been submitted, the parents and Godparents must attend a baptism class.
Requirements for Parents:
- Provide copy of the child’s birth certificate (SA Health District (210) 207-8754) not the hospital copy.
- If the parents are not registered parishioners and they do not live within the parish boundaries of SPX they must provide us with a letter from their church stating they are in good standing at their church and have permission to have their child baptized at SPX.
- Parents must attend a Baptism class. If they have attended a class in the past four years they do not need to re-take a class but must provide us proof of attendance.
- If child is of REP age (over 7 years old) they will need to enroll in REP Class and Parent will need to schedule interview with Stephanie Kristek at (210)-824-0139 ext 206.
Requirements for Godparents
- Only one Godparent is required, but if there are two, one must be male and one must be female
- Must be a practicing Catholic at least 16 years old who has received Baptism, Reconciliation, Eucharist, and Confirmation
- If married, must be married in the Catholic Church
- Leads a life in harmony with the faith and leads a life in harmony with the role to be undertaken
- A baptized person who belongs to a Non-Catholic Christian community may be a witness but only with a Catholic Godparent
- If not parishioners of SPX they must provide us with a letter from their church stating they are eligible to be Godparents and that they are in good standing at their church and meet all the requirements of a Catholic Godparent.
- Godparents must also attend a Baptism class. If they have attended a class in the past four years they do not need to re-take a class but must provide us proof of attendance.
What is the Role of the Godparents?
“Baptism is a sacrament of Faith” (CCC, 1253). It is the responsibility of all baptized Christians to journey with one another as one faith community. However, this is an even greater responsibility for the Godparents who are taking on the duty of walking with his or her God-child in faith.
The parents have an equally vital role for the grace of Baptism to unfold. However, the Godparents have a greater responsibility for the spiritual growth of the child. For this reason, “they must be firm believers, able and ready to help the newly baptized child on the road of Christian Life” (CCC, 1255).
When are the Baptism Classes?
Once all paperwork has been submitted to the church office, the parents, Godparents and Christian Witness (if applicable) can attend the next Baptism class. The Baptism class is required if a class has not been completed in the last four (4) years.
Baptism classes can be completed at another parish, but we must have a certificate of completion. Baptism classes are usally held the first Sunday of the month from 9am to 11am in the Conference Room (207) of the Family Center.
How do I register for Baptism Classes?
Online Baptism Class:
Registration Fee: $29.95 which will be collected through the online portal
In person classes:
Non-Parishoners: $10.00 per person fee due per person at time of registration.
Please call the church office at (210) 824-0139 to register.
**Baptism classes are usally held the first Sunday of the month from 9am to 11am in the Conference Room (207) of the Family Center.**